Week 4 Reflective Journal

This week, we learnt about Cell Theory and Prokaryote, Virus, Prion and Viroid.

We were told to list out the many scientists that contributed to the cell theory based on their findings and discoveries on the weekend before this week. It really got me prepared before class.

The SCL activity that required me to list out the names of scientists and the details of their discoveries has taught me that throughout the years, all these individual findings finally produced the old cell theory which was then improvised to produce the modern cell theory.

I also learned in detail about prokaryotic cells which include Eubacteria and Archaebacteria. The Venn diagram that I constructed in class had helped me to differentiate the characteristics of Eubacteria and Archaebacteria.

On top of that, prions and viroids are definitely new to me. I've learnt some basic things about virus before but I just found out that they are specific to their host. Prions are infectious proteins. I never knew that there could be such things as bad proteins before but now I do. It can infect other cells too. Viroids on the other hand, are basically infectious RNA but they only infect plants. It turns out that they are the reason why some potatoes grow in weird shapes.